Monday, 5 October 2009

The Day!




It feels so strange to be married, although I've surprised myself by not shedding a single tear throughout the whole day until I was eventually overcome by emotions when I climbed into bed at 9pm after I washed off the can of hairspray in my beehive and my coat of make-up. There I sobbed uncontrollably in my husband's arms, although I was unsure what I was crying for.

I started the day at 5.30am with hair and make-up lady coming to get me ready. The groom and his male entourage arrived at my place at 7am and had to pass a series of games and tasks (such as reciting Mandarin passages) before my bridesmaids allowed him upstairs to my room to see me and present me with my hand bouquet. We then went to the temple together for a short blessing ceremony before heading to the hotel for the solemnisation.

I was so nervous walking down the steps with the girls and Mum, but it was lovely seeing all my friends and family who filled up the seats and wore bright happy smiles. I thought I would cry during the solemnisation ceremony, but it was over pretty quickly and I remained dry-eyed throughout.

The most fun part was tossing my bridal bouquet after we got married. R kept saying I would drop it on the ground behind me because I was so poor at throwing so I made sure I used all my strength and in the end W, who was right at the back, caught the bouquet! She hasn't got a boyfriend at the moment, but I'm hoping this will bring her luck and lead her to the right guy.

I enjoyed the cake-cutting and traditional Yum Seng, and had a lot of fun making a speech. Although I thought I would be nervous, I wasn't in front of so many people, and really took the time to enjoy myself and say what I wanted to say. I also relaxed and enjoyed the speeches my bridesmaids made, they were so nice and full of praise for me.

I didn't really have to the time to change or eat because I wanted to spend time with all my guests and made sure they didn't feel left out. Even with just 50 people, I found it hard to give proper attention to everyone so I really have no idea how people with 300 guests do it!

I was glad it turned out, like we wanted, to be a very informal event and guests left as and when they wanted. M and D even stayed back in our hotel room till 8pm, chatting with us over champagne and fruit, compliments of the hotel. The room was frankly pretty luxurious and one of the best we've ever stayed in. If you are curious about what we did on the wedding night- the answer is "nothing much"! We fell asleep at 10pm and didn't get up til 10am, almost missing breakfast! We were really too tired.

After a relaxing morning and a terrific breakfast this morning (it included a honeycomb for toast!) we longingly departed after a late checkout. Tomorrow we will leave for Hanoi, Vietnam for a 5-day holiday.

If you want to read more about our lives together, please visit my other blog.

p.s. Thank you for coming to our little luncheon, we were very happy to have had you there! :)
p.p.s Thank you my beautiful bridesmaids for being such a GREAT help! Love you girls!

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't help tearing as I saw you walking down the stairs towards R. I was very touched and am very happy for the both of you. I shall wait patiently for that man to appear in my life hehe....love and hugs..felia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be lucky now because you caught the bouquet! Was glad to see you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. look at how enthusiastic i was....so embarrasing ;)mw

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know!!! MW you looked so animated it's hilarious! :) I didn't see the bouquet until R pointed it out. It blended into the background. I love this shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. super paiseh and sooooo unglam!!! :) mw

    ReplyDelete