I recently got the inspiration to start an online diary to detail wedding preparations leading up to the big day in just 50 days.
It hasn't been an easy journey, by this I mean preparing for the wedding as well as our years together as a couple.
We began our story on 15 June 1999, the day we met at the British Museum in London. Weeks before that, I was researching online for information in preparation for my week-long holiday to the UK and he was keen to find out more about visiting Southeast Asia. We exchanged a few emails and decided to meet at the Museum.
We spent the next eight years living 7,000 miles apart, only flying to see each other twice or thrice a year, with each trip lasting no more than three weeks at a time. We spoke on the telephone and MSN almost everyday.
In 2007, we decided to make plans for a life together in the UK. So in August 2007, R bought a four-bedroom house in a small town some 25 km west of Cardiff, the capital city of Wales. I quit my teaching job in Singapore in May 2008 and joined him in the UK in July 2008.
We have never lived together nor spent more than 21 days consecutively together. The next 12 months we spent together were challenging as we learnt to adjust to each other's habits and styles. I spent my first few months here looking for a job as well as helping out with home improvements.
Miraculously, despite our vast age gap, years of living apart, differences in culture, religion and upbringing, and not to mention initial family resistance, we actually made it. Sure, we fight but I'd like to believe our shared values and love for each other are the reasons which really keep us together.
Getting hitched is only the beginning. The start of a brand new journey for us. There are plenty of hurdles and challenges in the foreseeable future but strangely, I must say I can't wait for the ride.
















No comments:
Post a Comment