Most brides would easily spend a few thousand dollars on getting a wedding dress. One which they'd wear once and then keep in the cupboard for the rest of their lives. I'd rather spend that money on food, decoration and honeymoon.
While still on the search for a wedding dress, Z gave me some advice. She said I'm the type who suit classic styles and nothing too avant-garde. She is quite right, because any overly complicated dress would overwhelm my small frame and make me look literally "larger than life".
I was quite lucky because I roughly knew what could work for me when I went to a few small boutiques to try dresses on. I found something I quite like at Lavender, along Stamford Road, and the price was quite affordable too. But unfortunately, the seamstress went on maternity leave and wasn't able to tailor a dress for me.
Well this turned out to be a blessing in disguise. While continuing the search in the UK, I chanced upon a dress on the sale rack last Christmas, in the evening gown section of a departmental store.
The fit was perfect and was exactly what I'd wanted - something streamlined which wouldn't add bulk to my frame. It had some beading and quite an unusual design at the back. But all in all, it was a simple dress fit for an outdoor ceremony.
The hems of the long dress were quite black with dirt because I imagined it had been hung on the rail for quite some time. But I took one look at the price tag and decided to get it. Even with the cost of alteration and dry-cleaning factored in, it would still work out to be a ridiculously good-value purchase. Perfect, in my opinion, for a dress which you'd only wear once.
Shoes, however, I am willing to splurge on. These would be more of an investment since you can wear them over and over again. I didn't have much luck finding any until May this year when I managed to get a great discount on Christian Louboutin shoes.
So I held my breath and walked into the store in Takashimaya to see what was available and there there they were, in my size, as if waiting for me all this while.
I have absolutely no idea how I'd look with the hair, make-up, accessories, dress and shoes in place since it's bad luck to put on the full outfit before your wedding day.
The suspense is killing me and I just hope there will be no drama. At least not in a disastrous way.
Well this turned out to be a blessing in disguise. While continuing the search in the UK, I chanced upon a dress on the sale rack last Christmas, in the evening gown section of a departmental store.
The fit was perfect and was exactly what I'd wanted - something streamlined which wouldn't add bulk to my frame. It had some beading and quite an unusual design at the back. But all in all, it was a simple dress fit for an outdoor ceremony.
The hems of the long dress were quite black with dirt because I imagined it had been hung on the rail for quite some time. But I took one look at the price tag and decided to get it. Even with the cost of alteration and dry-cleaning factored in, it would still work out to be a ridiculously good-value purchase. Perfect, in my opinion, for a dress which you'd only wear once.
Shoes, however, I am willing to splurge on. These would be more of an investment since you can wear them over and over again. I didn't have much luck finding any until May this year when I managed to get a great discount on Christian Louboutin shoes.
So I held my breath and walked into the store in Takashimaya to see what was available and there there they were, in my size, as if waiting for me all this while.
I have absolutely no idea how I'd look with the hair, make-up, accessories, dress and shoes in place since it's bad luck to put on the full outfit before your wedding day.
The suspense is killing me and I just hope there will be no drama. At least not in a disastrous way.
















my sister's outfit only costs a few hundred dollars..and i told her to keep it..so i can alter and wear it for my wedding! hahaa... :P (if i can get in..)
ReplyDeleteI wish I had a hand-me-down gown. I think it's a lot more special to wear something that has a bit of history.
ReplyDelete