Friday, 21 August 2009

Day 43: Miscommunication!

I'm so glad I started this blog. It actually encouraged guests to share their thoughts on being involved and flag up little issues, like for example, how many people are included in one invite.

You see, I always thought invites were for one person. In the UK, if you allow someone to bring their spouse/partner/friend/child etc, you write "Mary Jones + 1". And in Singapore, during the wedding dinners I've been to, I haven't seen friends who bring their other half, so I happily assumed this was the norm.

Wrong!

Two of my married girlfriends wrote to tell me they're planning to bring their kids and spouses, which for a brief moment threw a spanner in the works, because silly me actually totally forgot to factor in spouses and children. Then I really started panicking when I got another email from L who asked if her daughter could join us too.

Panic time!

That's because I only have four tables (excluding the VIP table) and every seat really counts. I have since been frantically contacting everyone to ask if they'll be turning up with their loved ones, because I had so stupidly assumed they wouldn't.

But anyway, thankfully the invitation cards have not been sent out yet so I am able to make adjustments to them, and we are still able to keep the number of guests at 50. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to say no to the rest who would like to have "plus 1"s because I won't be able to accommodate everyone.

Hopefully, it will all work out and the lesson I've learnt today is - don't assume. It makes an ass out of me!

2 comments:

  1. i need to ask a qns .. how does one get to ur wedding venue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Shir, directions will be included in the invitation. Alternatively you can visit the link below: http://www.thesentosa.com/en/hotel/beaufort/singapore/sentosa/resortandspa/locationandinformation/transportation.html

    ReplyDelete