I think weddings are great fun if you know the couple and if you know the people whom you will be seating and eating with.
Sadly I have attended a few where I was dining with people I didn't know and it being a formal sit-down nine-course meal, I had to patiently wait for each dish to arrive, otherwise I would go home hungry.
But sometimes it can't be helped. You've got to place guests with others whom they may not know. I just don't really enjoy sitting there looking at strangers awkwardly for two hours. Sure, I can make small talk and get to know people, but it also depends what kind of strangers you get at your table.
Once, I got into a very heated discussion with one uncle at my table, who lamented loudly about the large number of spinsters in Singapore. The single women at our table just went quiet. "Why?" he asked me. "Why don't girls want to get married?" It was such a a Bridget Jones moment, except I don't think uncle would have understood if I answered, "Actually underneath our clothes, we are covered in scales."
So you can the drift. It can be painful when all you want is to be there to congratulate your pal, who looks absolutely smashing but sadly is too preoccupied to say hi.
We don't have a big enough budget to hire a band, singers, sword swallowers, magicians or jugglers. Both R and I are so bad at dancing we won't even try to embarrass ourselves.
We won't have any "our love story" powerpoint slides either. What do you think this blog is for? It's for guests to get to know us in theory before meeting us in person.
The only entertainment I guess, is us. I want to be in a comfortable dress where I can go around and sit with guests, not just being confined to my VIP table. I want to catch up friends who will be there to celebrate with us, especially M and H who will fly in from Dubai and the UK. We want to talk to people who are interested to find out about Wales and what it's like.
For guests who feel a bit shy about sitting with people they don't know or worried when the conversation dries up, there's always that excuse to head to the buffet table. You don't have to wait to be served. All the food is there for you to pick and choose so you can eat however much or little you like.
There are also little things I'll put together to keep you engaged. There are areas in and out of the dining area you can explore- chase a few peacocks, go for a walk, come back and snap more pictures and eat more food.
There is no official going home time. You know, when all the lights come on after that sticky Orh Nee (sweet yam dessert- often the last course), and guests dash out to make the last train home.
Go home when you need to, or whenever you want to. I won't be standing at the doorway to shake your hand but I can walk you to the lobby and I'll even let let you lie on the bed in my hotel room before you go if you like.
As long as we all have fun.
Tuesday, 18 August 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















Hi Jiejie,
ReplyDeleteI hope the uncle you mentioned is not my dad huh.. haha.. Anyway feel happy for you.. Please do let me know if you need help~>. I will be around..
Of course not Andreas! The uncle I'm referring to was someone I didn't know at a friend's wedding. You can help me by confirming if your sister and her boyfriend will be coming! :)
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed myself during one of our colleague's wedding in Apr... she invited quite a number of colleagues but only a few of us attended the dinner. We sat at one table and had such fun... chatting, jesting and eating without feeling inhibited...as a matter of fact, the table was one of the few who left later...
ReplyDeleteHi Jiejie..
ReplyDeleteI think Shevonne would love to attend your wedding. However, at this point of time, shes still not able to confirm her work schedule as her manager is currently away on vacation. Can I let you know once i have the latest update from her?
Hey Andreas, I just heard from your Mum Shevonne has to work on that day so she won't be able to come.
ReplyDelete